Friday, March 6, 2009

To all of you...


After my last post I got to thinking more about the pet peeve about people not asking what wives do. I thought through what all of you do and was amazed at the many talents you all possess and the loads of information and knowledge that you carry. In my group of friends and family I thought of many accomplishments that stood out. Here is a list of just a few things that describe the many talents shared among all of you...
  • mathematician with Ph.D.
  • dietitians
  • Web site designers
  • teachers - there are lots of teachers!
  • photographers
  • office managers
  • business owners and operators
  • interior decorator
  • students- business, nutrition, nursing, accounting, education, politics, etc.
  • former military members
  • accountants
  • future authors
  • former Disney character - actress
  • dancers
  • culinary experts
  • personal trainer
  • fitness instructors
  • pianists
  • singers
  • scientists
  • linguists
  • athletes-runners, sports players, yoga devotees, cyclists
  • pharmacists
  • x-ray technologist
  • travel agent
  • scopist
  • work-from-home employees
  • geologist
  • and so many other things!
I hope nobody misread the inflection on the "I'm just a mom" comment in my last post. If you read it correctly then it should have sounded like you're explaining the most boring thing in the world. Said in a way that nobody would dare ask for more information. As for me being a mom, I love it. Period. It's one of the best roles I fill (wife being the other-make sure Brian sees this) and it's one where my actions matter the most. I just feel that the time and effort I've put into my other accomplishments also matter. So, first and foremost, I'm a wife and mother, but I'm also going to be a dietitian someday soon and I work for two reputable and challenging organizations where I feel my input makes a difference.

By the way, I really wasn't directing any of my pet peeves at any of you. I seriously did not have even one of you in mind as I typed away (except for you Nancy P. - you drive me nuts!). So don't be offended. If you are, please read the pet peeve about offense again. Hate the peeve, love the peever!

Ooh I have another pet peeve to add:
-When people refer to husbands being at home with the kids as "babysitting". They're not home babysitting, they're being fathers! It's part of the deal.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

You may remember that my favorite phrase when suggesting women leave their kids home with hubby for enrichment was, "Give your husbands an opportunity to parent."

Definitely one of my big pet peeves.

SheL said...

This was a very sweet post... and I loved the peeve post as well =)