Saturday, May 9, 2009

Saturday in Pictures (and words, but mostly pictures)

First of all, another busy Saturday came and went. Eliza woke up at 5:30 and I thought that I was in for a long day, but she fell back asleep and I didn't hear from her again until I was making pancakes for our breakfast. After eating we headed to the gym for a spin class where we met up with Jonny and Lauryn. We decided we needed another day of adventure so we opted to go to DC for a Mother's Day celebration. We went to the Air & Space Museum which was great and then headed off to find dinner. We trekked to a few blocks in one direction only to be told that we should go to the opposite side of the mall so we trekked off in the opposite direction where we found some restaurant options. We ended up eating at Oyamel Cocina Mexicana. The food was good, but expensive! They served their dishes tapas style but we didn't know that when we went in. Seriously, have you ever heard of Mexican tapas dishes? Tapas are typically associated with Spanish food, you know...jamon, chorizo, manchego...not tacos, tamales and plantains. Anyway, after ordering a $7.00 tamale and seeing the size of the dish, we knew that we'd never get enough to eat without spending a small fortune. We decided to just give up and go eat ice cream at Bruster's to help forget the memory of our $46.00 dinner where we ate a total of four miniature tacos, one tamale, one bowl of black bean soup, four slices of plantain and a child's quesadilla.
Eliza refused to nap at home today so this is how her day ended in DC.
Eliza's standing method for riding in the stroller. Sorry for the blurriness, I took the picture while she was in motion.
$7.00 plantain and black bean plate at dinner.
What? You don't see the black beans? We didn't either.

This is a $7.00 tamale. It was yummy, but I needed about 3 of them to fill me up and I wasn't about to spend $21.00 on tamales.
Air & Space Museum
This picture is actually from last weekend, but I just realized tonight that I haven't bathed Eliza since Tuesday. I feel bad, but at least she's not "the stinky kid in class". She's getting a bath right after breakfast. I swear I don't usually wait this long in between baths, but we skipped swimming on Thursday and consequently skipped the bath afterwards. Oops.
These are the flowers Brian sent for Mother's Day. He did an awesome job choosing this azalea plant. This is one of my favorite bushes/shrubs from when we lived in Georgia. I just hope I can keep it alive. Are you rethinking the gift now that you realized that I can't even keep our daughter clean, sweetie?
Do you see why Eliza wasn't sleeping during nap time? Exhibit A shows her trying to escape and exhibit B shows the audience she has set up to witness the event. The witness are (from left to right): George the monkey, Cristi the Cabbage Patch Doll, and Kaloo the bunny. Besides this little trick, she has figured out that she can reach under her crib to open the drawer used to store blankets and she will pull them all out to toss around the room or pull into her bed.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Fun weekend. You guys are are always doing fun spontaneous things. As for the restaurants...that's my biggest beef. (no pun intended). It's not like I want to be a total glutton, but if I go to a fancy restaurant I want to at least feel satisfied. Otherwise i feel bitter about the money I spent knowing that I could have cooked it myself. ( I realize some places I couldn't cook that well, but you get the drift.)

Cute Eliza and her escape projects. I love the animals too. don't you love how important those little buddies are?

Monique said...

Right on. Happy Mother's Day!!

Hope you had a wonderful day... love you!

sydney said...

yea mexican tapas - whats up with that? brusters is better :)
happy mother's day!!