Thursday, July 16, 2009

So what?

So what big changes have come about in our house this week? Eliza doesn't take a binky anymore. Her "bee-bees" as she calls them went bye bye and now she sleeps without them. That was the only time she got them so I didn't have to wean her from using it during other times. She cried a little bit (30 minutes max the first time without a pacifier at nap time) but has gotten to the point where she usually just talks to herself a little bit and then falls asleep and that adjustment has happened in just three days. The trade off in this situation was she got got a pillow like a big girl. She woke up at 6:30 the first morning since she didn't have the binky to fall back to sleep, but I fixed that problem by hanging up her curtains (that have been sitting in a pile waiting for Brian to come home so he could do it) and she slept to her normal 8:00 this morning. Yeah!
So what do you do when you're on the go all day? I pack lunch in the bib pocket and let Eliza eat in the car. Awesome!
So what have you been up to? We've been doing the same things as always. There has been one little change however, do you spot the difference?

14 comments:

SheL said...

Haircut? I love the lunch in the bib idea... I wish Logan didn't freak out every time I tried to put a bib on him!

Brandi said...

Haircut was my guess, too, but I'm not sure. It's going to drive me crazy until I know.

Monique said...

pool? Duh, Shel. :) Anywho, what was your secret and how did you not give in to her little sad face?... I don't know if I have it in me!

Monique said...

um, so it might be me that is attached to the binky... any suggestions??

Jodi Jo said...

She has teeth! It's about time! It is so great to see what you guys are up to!

Dasha said...

i think i'm going to do that. that's a great idea for the bib. evie has those same sandals. she's looking more little girlish and less babyish. i'm seeing the same with evie, and not so sure i like it.

Unknown said...

It's her new swim suit that's different! I haven't cut her hair yet and won't do that while Brian is gone. She does have teeth now - 8 total. Her front two top and two bottom and then her first year molars. She skipped everything else. As for the pacifier weaning...that face isn't her sad face, that's her waking up face so I wasn't even temped to give in. I just took all of the binkys out of her crib and told her that they went bye bye and that they were all gone. Then I put her down for her nap. I told her again that the binkys had gone bye bye and that there weren't anymore. She cried the most during that nap time, but I went in after about 15 minutes and calmed her down and held her. Then I explained again that the binkys were gone and put her back to bed. She cried again for 15 more minutes but then fell asleep and did just fine without the binky. She cried about 2 minutes at bedtime that night and has since gone to bed with either no crying at all or just a little cry that lasts maybe 30 seconds. She woke up at 6:30 her first morning and I was seriously rethinking the idea of taking away the binky since she'd been sleeping until 7:30 or 8:00 on most other days and I didn't want to give up that extra time to sleep! However she woke up yesterday at 5:30 and then fell back to sleep until 7. Today she slept until 8 so she's getting back to her normal routine. She hasn't asked for it at all so it's gone really well. I gave her a "big girl" pillow for the first time and she seems to like it but I don't really think she would have cared if I hadn't have given it to her.

Anonymous said...

I figured out what's different! It's her nose - it's FINALLY ATTACHED TO HER FACE! Oh wait, you already answered the question....

Karen said...

The "big girl" pillow was a good idea, though. Filing away for future reference...;)

Lindsey said...

I did notice the suit (since her and Noelle usually match) but I was going to guess the sunglasses. Noelle LOVES hers.
I like the big girl pillow. I wouldn't have ever thought of that.
Are you planning on potty training soon? I am stuck between a MIL who potty trained all 7 kids by 18 mo and my mom who can't remembers potty training us.
What is your input?

Unknown said...

Lindsey-We bought her a potty seat (the kind that sits on the big toilet) but we're not potty training yet. We just got the seat so she can get used to sitting on the toilet every now and then. Right now we're just letting her determine what happens with the potty. Some times she'll run to the bathroom wanting to sit on the potty (she gets a sticker for doing that so I'm not too sure that it's not all about the sticker). However, one time while I was changing her diaper she ran to the bathroom and I thought she was just running away to hide but then she said "pee pee" and proceeded to pee on the carpet. That time might have actually been productive on the seat. Oh well. I'm not going to push her at all at this point, but I am going to let her do what she wants when she wants to do it. I hope that makes sense.

Anonymous said...

Nice site, I have enjoyed the posts. I was having major problems with my son's binky addiction. My friend raved about the cut method, and all of the psychology behind it. There is a free site; www.bye-bye-binky.com -on dropping the binky. Very cool stuff, worked beautifully for my son. Four days later he did not want anything to do with his binky (his choice btw). I am also interested in others experiences with this method.... Bella

Unknown said...

Thanks Bella for the site information! I was going to try the cutting method if she didn't do okay with the "cold turkey" idea. I'll keep this idea tucked away for future children. Just in case!

sydney said...

whoa that seems fast for the pacifier gone but what do i know
i guess i dont have to guess whats different since u already said
i like the lunch in the bib - thats cool