Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday Update

  1. Eliza has been talking about umbrellas, water and rain all week. Her conversation usually sounds something like this "raino, brellas, raino, water, brellas." It rained today and we actually got to use an umbrella this morning. She was so excited!
  2. My internship is going very well. I learned a lot of new things about the hospital this week, but most importantly I learned to wear better shoes or have bandaids available. The hospital is HUGE and my feet are really paying the price after many tours and a massive scavenger hunt that took 2 1/2 hours (but my partner and I won $15 gift certificates so the pain was worth it, right?).
  3. My badge says "clinical nutrition services, dietetic intern" and I think that's pretty cool!
  4. Eliza is still totally in love with glasses whether they're from Mr. Potato Head or other glasses. She wears them all the time and often looks for a pair first thing in the morning. She asks for them repeatedly throughout the day calling them "gasses". Must have something to do with the fact that I always wear glasses.
  5. Today was Grandparent's Day at daycare. Eliza's grandparents all live in Utah and, obviously, wouldn't have been able to attend today so I asked Grandma Vest to attend instead. She was excited to be invited and had fun with Eliza during a special snack time with bananas and wheat germ.
  6. Eliza still takes off her clothes any chance she gets, but she still only does it at home fortunately. Also, she always keeps her diaper on. The really cute thing is that she doesn't just take off her clothes and leave them in random spots, she actually puts them away in her clothes hamper. This is how I found her when I went in to check on her before I went to bed last night. I redressed her only to find her undressed again this morning.
  7. The story of the crushed mouse was totally Brian's story, not mine. He decided that he would start contributing a few more posts so just keep that in mind when you're picturing me crushing a mouse with my bare hands. :) I'm still grossed out too!
  8. The mouse post was one of our most commented on posts. It ranked right up there with the birth of Eliza, a moving announcement, my internship match results and the nail polish incident when Eliza painted her face at 10 months.
  9. I finished reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" in August and it was excellent! It was completely different from the movie so, if you ever decide to read the book, don't even try to make comparisons. Just know that both are good in their own way, but the book contains so much more. I also just finished reading "The Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale and it was also a good read. It was much lighter and quicker than "The Count" obviously, but I still really enjoyed it (maybe that contributed to my enjoyment actually). It was youth fiction but still interesting enough to not feel immature. I'm going to pick up the sequel "Enna Burning" from the library once I have some more time.
  10. Last, but not least, I appreciated the show of respect for 9/11 today and I think that it is great that the day has become a day of service. I think that serving others provides a great outlet of healing to overcome the hatred that was inflamed 8 years ago. Besides, I can think of no better way to show the attackers that we will not be diminished as a nation by acts of terrorism.

5 comments:

Monique said...

It's nice to get some book ideas... thanks! And I think the cache finding (or whatever that is) helped you with the scavenger hunt for sure. ;)

Ariella said...

I LOVE Eliza's potato head "gasses." How fun that Jeanine got to be her grandma for the day. I always feel bad not having grandparents for my kids on Grandparents day. That was really sweet of her.

sydney said...

cool scavenger hunts and prizes as part of ur job - i want some of that :)
she looks so cute in the mr potato head glasses :)

Mama Spud said...

I saw Eliza at church with her glasses on ... too cute! When you mentioned reading "The Count of Monte Cristo", it reminded me of the following post ...
http://spudfamily.blogspot.com/2006/02/sophisticated-cats.html

Laura said...

LOVE Shannon Hale. I have read most of her books. I hope you get around to reading the rest.