Tuesday, July 6, 2010

10 Years in Songs: A Celebration of Our 10th Anniversary!

You know how some songs stick out during times in your life like a personal anthem or maybe a song that could be your personal soundtrack?  That's what this post is about, the songs that have played throughout our first 10 years of marriage and the meaning they've had during the years.

  • When You Say Nothing At All (Alison Krauss)-this was our wedding song because we both love the lyrics and we both like Alison Krauss as well.  We also listened to I Knew I Loved You (Savage Garden) and many other love songs at that time. 
  • The Gambler (Kenny Rogers)-no I'm not kidding, this is kind of our "get out of jail free card" song.  Neither of us knows when the song started or who sang it first but we will frequently break out singing this song late at night in the middle of a fight.  Maybe it's the lyric "we were both too tired to sleep" but this song made its way into our routine of ending fights when we've entered the silent mode because neither of us can stop from laughing when this song comes out.  
  • Here Without You (3 Doors Down) or Only An Ocean Away (Sarah Brightman) through the countless days Brian spent out on submarines.  I'd often wonder where he was in the world and when I'd hear his voice again.  We could usually stay in touch through e-mail but it would be weeks or months in between calls.  He did get a call in one time from the middle of the ocean while out on a foreign sub.  I was at my parent's house and got called down from my bedroom at 2 am to talk to him.  What an awesome surprise even if it was super short!  
  • In My Arms (Plumb) and I'll Stand By You (The Pretenders)-the first came out around the time Eliza was born and described her perfectly with baby blue eyes and how I felt as her mother.  The second was the song playing on the radio as we got on the freeway on our way home from the hospital for the first time, and I cried through the entire song thanks to hormones and feeling such love for my new baby girl.  
  • Home (Michael Buble)-Brian does not like Michael Buble so this one is only from me.  I put this song in from the summer I spent in England and he was away for work.  I was having the time of my life, but I wanted to be spending the summer with Brian.  It was a busy summer and I got to see so much but it would have been so much more fun with him there by my side.  
  • Magic Dance (David Bowie) from the movie The Labyrinth-this movie is one of my all-time favorites and Brian tolerates it for my benefit.  This is another song that we break out during random moments to make the other one laugh.  
  • Sweet Pea (Tommy Roe)-this has been the nickname Brian has used for me for the majority of our marriage and he often sings this song to be funny/loving.  He chose the nickname because the sweet pea is the flower for the month of April, which is my birth month.  
  • Feels Like Home (Edwina Hayes or Chantal Kreviazuk)
Those are all of the songs we can think of for now but there are plenty more.  

4 comments:

Dasha said...

Okay, so "When you say nothing at all" is totally our song too. Definitely some great songs in there. Happy happy happiest anniversary to you both!!

sydney said...

wow ten years - happy anniversary!!
ps not sure if the baby countdown has been there a while but im oblivious so i just noticed it - i just keep watching the baby go round and round - haha

Laura said...

Ten Years, congrats! What great times and memories. I love the songs.

Des said...

The Magic dance...How funny. Brought back so many memories!!:)

I agree, the are some songs that come on and I can remember so clearly my life when I first heard them.