Friday, September 24, 2010

Settling In at Home

We've been home from the hospital for a week now and things are going well.  We've got another 2 1/2 weeks with Brian home and are enjoying the time with him.  It's been nice to have a full-time tag team effort in place with the two kids.  It's going to be a little crazy when he leaves, but I think things will go fairly well.  We'll see.

Simon is a very cuddly baby and I am loving all the snuggle time.  He usually starts out all curled up but then relaxes basically into a completely flopped out position.  Eliza has been really good about not jumping on Simon or picking him up, but she does have to be reigned in occasionally (like when she tries to get him to stop crying by poking his forehead).  It's fun to watch Simon and pick out the similarities to Eliza as an infant like smiling while falling asleep, dark baby hair, extreme dislike for bath time, and their propensity to overeat and spit up milk all over (maybe all babies do this, do they?).  Both had similar starts with quick labors, moderate jaundice and lots of puking in the hospital.  Simon is different in a lot of ways that I'm sure we'll keep finding (obviously the whole gender difference is a giveaway).  He has dimples in each cheek for starters and his fingers are crooked just like Brian's.

I'm still having major hip pain which is now being treated by a physical therapist.  I'm hoping to get to some semblance of normal walking and level of functioning before Brian leaves.  I had pain after Eliza's birth for nearly a year, but I didn't have any treatment.  This time I'm not waiting it out.  Today I ended up with my back heat packed and shocked with little electrical pads.  The PT then realigned my hips since my right side was tipped forward.  Hopefully things get better soon.



4 comments:

sydney said...

do they know what this hip business is about?

Josh and Tiff Roundy said...

hey Jamie I hope your hip starts feeling better soon! I can't imagine how you are feeling with Brian leaving so soon and you still recovering. Hang in there! I wish we still lived close to each other so I could do something to help. Take care. BTW your sweet baby Simon is adorable!

Nourishing Creations said...

Jamie,
I just went to a group yesterday where I learned about craniosacral therapy, I'd never learned about it until then. I was thinking of you and your mentioned hip pain, and I think it sounds amazingly helpful. The lady I heard from was a PT who practices craniosacral therapy. It's definitely something i'm looking into to relieve sciatica- and it's a gentle but permanent solution, which i'm excited about. She mentioned that all women and new babies even would benefit from this therapy after child birth! Just wanted to let you know about it as an option. I hope the PT does the trick though!

Linds said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your hip problems. That is so hard when you have 2 little ones to care for. It's great though that you are getting treatment, and hopefully feeling much better before Brian leaves!