
I've had a few annoyances on my mind lately and I'm going to post them here to get your reactions. So here goes:
1-Women who have this thing with referring to themselves as being OCD as if it were a talent. Women are not all OCD!! Take a real look at the debilitating characteristics of the disorder and then decide if you really can't go up or down the stairs without the carpet pile going in the same direction or if you can't sleep because little compulsions keep creeping into your mind like the need to rub the hair on your arms a certain number of times or the desire to perform an elaborate bedtime routine with a specific stepping pattern/dressing order/washing tasks, etc. Wanting your children's hair done correctly or having the meal eaten in a specific order is not being OCD - it's being picky or controlling, you choose.
2-Drivers that go into the turn lane too early and speed up so that you can't access the turn lane at the proper entry point. Seriously, are these drivers getting any farther ahead in the traffic scheme by entering the lane so early?
3-Rude customer service. I will drop a restaurant from "my list" after only a single encounter of rude workers or management. St. Elmo's in Alexandria - you're off my list after rudely asking my friend if she didn't already hear you explain that the soup was gone after she asked if there were any other soups. Establishments only make it back on the list after I hear good reports about the place or it's been long enough that I'm willing to give them another shot. St. Elmo's - you're not getting another shot because, honestly, your food wasn't that good either.
4-People who get and stay offended. Move on already. If I've offended you I'm sorry. If you're still holding on to offense from other people, they likely don't know that they did anything wrong. Stop letting the occurence have control over your life and don't wait for them to apologize. If it's all me, then I'm sorry. Still, move on, or say something.
5-Political party loyalty. We all want what is best for the nation, our families, employment, healthcare, etc. We just don't always agree on how to get there. We can agree on what's best though and COMPROMISE! I can't imagine how family life would go if we ran everything on the basis that the majority rules. Although sometimes necessary, letting the majority rule without compromise leads to further resistance and hard feelings.
6-On the topic of politics - Nancy Pelosi. Need I say more? Just in case I do...if you watched the Presidential speech last week then you've likely also had enough of her lip licking, hair fixing, program checking and smug looking.
7-People who think they know it all. :)
8-When you first meet people and they only inquire after what the husband does. Since when do wives do nothing worth asking about? Have so many answered "I'm just a mom" or "I do nothing" that people no longer think they do anything worth talking about?
That's it for now. Please feel free to add your grievances to the comment list. I hope nobody thinks that I'm in some super bad mood or anything, these are just a few things that I've heard about, read about, or watched recently. It doesn't help that I'm sick of the freezing weather and am ready for spring. I need to get out of the house more!
11 comments:
I totally agree with #8. I have a great career and I went to a lot of school to achieve that career, but people only ask about Devin's job...unless they know me real well. I've learned to not take too much offense to it.
Amber
1. I'm guilty and I'll claim both picky and controlling - it totally depends on the day and how irritated I am with the boys.
2. totally agree!
3. Let me know if you need suggestions for restaurants in NoVa, I have some favs that we L.O.V.E.
4,5,6,7 & 8. amen
well said, especially #4 and #5. sometimes i feel the need to vent about something or just put my opinion out there but i don't because i'm just not articulate or something. it always sounds better in my head:)
I love to vent, doesn't it feel great?? I'm a loyal republican. Perhaps my only flaw???:) I can't sway from the belief system, although I don't agree with ALL republicans. I can't even watch the president speak, I'm too busy checking the stock market while he's talking to see how quickly it will drop this time...
I agree 100% on #1...No one I have heard declare themselves OCD actually fit the bill. Most of them are perfectionists, but I smile instead of pointing it out :p
And I am so with you on needing Spring.
My current grievance is women who claim "morning sickness" but only feel slightly nauseous in the morning. You know, eat a soda cracker and your good? Or maybe my problem is that I don't get morning sickness, I get some extreme chemical/hormonal reaction that sends my body into absolute sickened chaos. Either way, its NOT THE SAME, and don't nod your head and say, "Oh, I get morning sickness too".
u do live in the home of the worst drivers on earth - haha.
rude people in restaurants just get no tip - haha - sorry suckas
Thanks for putting in words what I feel all the time! You are quite brave. I agree with #8 totally. I hate it when people think that it was Lorin who was in the Air Force. Is it because I'm a girl!?! Oh and #6. Don't get me started. Do you watch or listen to Glenn Beck?
YOU CRACK ME UP!
I do say I/someone have an OCD for something... what I mean is that I/someone am obsessively doing something and I am too lazy to write all that. Sorry. And I think it's so funny how "everywhere" has the worst drivers! In my mind, I say "Have they been to Brazil? Have they been to Mexico? Have they been to Hungary?" Motorcycles drive IN BETWEEN cars, taxis and buses ALWAYS have the right of way, and many many are 1st generation drivers with little or no experience. BLAH!
1. Totally agree. I know I like to have things done my way, I'm not controlling, I'm just very particular, and do not have a disorder!
2. Everybody thinks they own the road in CA, but the motorcycles are the worst -- riding in between the cars and they come out of nowhere.
3. If you work in the service industry, you have to be nice, friendly, and bend over backwards for your customers. If you can't do it, get a new job.
4. I used to think I was good at letting things go. Now I'm not so sure. When the offense involves a loss of trust, you can forgive them, but it's the "forget" part that's hard. Forgiveness doesn't heal the trust, nor does it mean you should trust them. And when does the offense cross the line into needing to sincerely forgive? Truly forgiving someone, I am learning, is much harder than I thought. (I'm not talking about you-know-who, he's in a separate category)
5. Totally agree. Can't we form a party where everyone just wants to do the right thing?
6. I won't even go there!
7. My almost 5 year old thinks she knows it all!
8. I can't say this one bothers me. Either I don't have anything I feel is significant enough to mention, or it just takes too long to fill someone in on the story of my life. It's just easier for me to keep things simple I guess. Also, in CA (even at church) it is out of the ordinary to be a stay-at-home-mom, everyone assumes I work, and so I do get asked "What do you do?" quite often. It's kinda sad actually.
It was so fun to read this! I have so many pet peeves that I always want to vent but have no place! I can't think of any right now except (1)smokers and (2)smokers dropping their butts wherever the heck they want to. I always want to go and pick it up and hand it back to them.
I hear my husband and my mom talk a lot about politics because they listen to people like Hannedy and Beck on talk radio. One thing I think is funny is the names that some of the politicians acquire. Hannedy call Nancy Pelosi "Princess Pelosi." Also I don't know if your familiar with Harry Reed but he has been dubbed "Prince Harry Reed." Its kind of funny but scary at the same time because they are the ones that throw a fit when they don't get their way. My mom just informed me today that Pelosi is 3rd in line for the President's position. That really scares me.
Post a Comment