Want:
- unique architecture-Colonial, Craftsman, Cape Cod, Queen Anne, Victorian, etc.
- big fenced yard, but not so big that yard work takes too long
- fruit trees or bushes-apricot, cherry, apple, blueberries
- garden space
- paved driveway
- garage
- big bathtubs
- good school district for home area
- close proximity to a library and park
- community with frequent family activities
- fireplace
- nooks and crannies perfect for puppet shows, reading corners and hide and go seek (the Victorian house example above is such an awesome house for this!)
- porch
- sunny rooms
- gas appliance hookups
- double vanity in the master bath with cupboards below the sinks for storage
- carpet in the dining room
- single basin kitchen sink
- gravel driveway
- a home in a neighborhood where every home matches the others in color or style, or both
- Split foyer, Split level, Rambler, Townhouse or Rancher styles
- busy streets nearby
- a fixer-upper that requires new heating or plumbing (although we might go along on this type of repair if we could have the Victorian house above)
- excess space
- lack of storage


7 comments:
I don't think you would have to worry about this with the style of house you are dreaming of, BUT never get a double story vaulted ceiling in an area that has cold weather. You'll never heat it, and you'll run your bill up trying to.
One thing in our dream home that i don't want, either, are open floor plans to every room. Gag...you would never be able to get away from the noise!
After living in many homes, two of which we own, when we buy our last home, we have very specifics of what we want and don't want, too!
I'm so offended! :) Everything in your 'don't want' category we had in our last home near you. . . and we don't miss it one bit. We miss the people, not the home. It's interesting how you have to experience the bad to know what you want and don't want. I would really like a garbage disposal here, but I really can not complain compared to the other expats who live here.
My parents bought a folk victorian about two years ago and I love it. It's a little more fixing up than I'd like to do, but I love the nooks and crannies. :)
Double vanities are a must, right? GL on getting that magic house one day!
My dream house was for sale about 11 years ago, and it was being sold by a family member.
It's a colonial era New England farmhouse on an island in Maine where my family is from. It has tons of land, a horse pasture and a big red barn. The inside has had the wiring and plumbing updated, but has many original features (like a huge BRICK OVEN in the kitchen). My dream was to buy it and make it into a bed and breakfast. We even started some of the paperwork for a loan (this was pre-army.
Then it dawned on us that B&Bs really need to operate on Sundays to get buisness, so we let the idea go. It was a hard decision to make. I still adore the house.
What beautiful homes! I agree with carpet in the dining room (or kitchen), who thought of that? Good Luck!
I love all of those styles, anything thats not 1970-Present architecture!! I also like *rooms*. Does that sound strange? Well traditional Florida homes are made with as few public rooms as possible for air circulation and I have NO idea what to do one MONGO HUGE ROOM. I need division or theres no hope of organization. No, none, at all, ever. Oh, and separate bathrooms!
I think I could have written this post myself :)
Post a Comment