Tuesday, February 23, 2010

We're adding a dolphin to the family.



Around 6 Weeks
So big news, I'm pregnant! We're very excited and quite surprised that everything worked out so quickly. A few facts:
  • Due date: mid-September, which means I'm just over 10 weeks along
  • We thought we had miscarried a few weeks ago (right in line with past pregnancy experiences) because of some bleeding and cramping. However, when I went back to the doctor I found out that I have a blood clot sitting next to the baby. Fortunately, the clot is gone now so we don't have to worry about it anymore.
  • At one appointment, the midwife discovered that I have a heart murmur. It's nothing serious, but I have to go in for an echocardiogram and a check-up with my primary doctor. The midwife thinks that it's probably more pronounced right now simply because of the pregnancy. I guess it's a pretty common situation.
  • At the same appointment, I had an ultrasound so Brian and Eliza came along. When the sonographer pulled up the images on the screen on the wall Eliza cheered "yeah, dolphin show"! She's been really excited to go to the aquarium again to see the dolphin show. I'm not sure how she drew a parallel between that and a baby, but we spent the rest of the time joking about having a baby dolphin instead of a brother or sister.
  • Which brings up another question...do we want a boy or a girl? We don't have a preference and we're not going to find out what we're having until the baby is born. I don't care what anyone else's opinion is on this - to each his own. :)
  • This pregnancy has been quite different from Eliza's because I have actually been sick. Fortunately I haven't thrown up too much, but I've found that I feel nauseated most all of the time unless I keep food in my stomach and stay hydrated. This is already getting better though so I can't complain too much.
  • Also completely different from Eliza's pregnancy is the fact that we didn't have any help conceiving this time. This baby was planned but a complete surprise because we had no idea it would happen so quickly.
  • I don't have any major cravings but I haven't really wanted to eat vegetables or savory dishes. Although if I get the food into my mouth it ends up tasting pretty good. The foods that sound good are carbohydrate-rich/fatty foods like bagels with cream cheese or waffles and syrup. Desserts don't really do it for me now and I can typically only handle a small portion.
  • As you can see from the pictures, I've already racked up quite a collection. That's because I've already had 4 ultrasounds to date the pregnancy and then to track the blood clot.
  • I've been in to the doctor every 2 weeks and am looking forward to the slow down to once a month for the next few months. I don't think my internship is thrilled by the fact that I have to keep rearranging my patient workload in order to accommodate appointments. Nevertheless, I still get my work done so it doesn't really matter. I just end up having super long days once I tack on the appointment.
Just in case you're not sure what you're looking at: head to the left, bum on the right, one arm/hand sticking up in the middle and umbilical cord on upper right. We saw both arms and both legs today plus we saw the baby moving around and got to hear the heartbeat. This ultrasound also confirmed that the blood clot has resolved so that's great news!

23 comments:

Linds said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I LOVE the dolphin comment, so adorable. And you are super woman to be juggling all that you do! I hope the sickness passes soon!

Beth said...

Congratulations :]
I can't imagine doing the internship and being pregnant, you're amazing! And all I wanted to eat during my first trimester was bagels and cream cheese, they were the only things that didn't smell funny to me.. haha.

Slavka said...

Oh my goodness!!! So many congratulations!!! I am so happy for you!!!

Big Daddy said...

Super congrats!!!! Glad it happened on it's own. I bet you can't stop smiling! That story is sure to be told and re-told again and again as the years go by. What a special day for all of you. Again, congrats!!!

Brandi said...

Congratulations!! I hear dolphins are fun. :)

Jenny D. said...

Congratulations!!!! For the past few days I have been thinking of you and wanting to call, maybe this weekend. Sickness is a good sign in this regard!

Dasha said...

Woohoo!! I'm so excited for you. That constant nauseous feeling is the worst. I hope it passes quickly for you. CONGRATS again!!!!

Lindsey said...

Wahooo!!!! If I can keep mine in utero a little bit longer than we can have birthday buddies again. Just Kidding. That ain't happening!

Take care of that little dolphin!

Monique said...

HOORAY!!!! Our children are matching up quite nicely if I do say so myself. :) We are REALLY excited for you, but it's yucky about the sickness. Hope you get feeling better soon!! You are so good at keeping secrets by the way.... hmmmm.

Dave and Alisha said...

Cool news!! You better stop getting so many ultrasounds or eventually you'll be able to figure out if it's a boy or girl dolphin :)

Shilae said...

I am SO excited for you guys, yay!!! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! I'm sorry to hear that you aren't feeling very well this time. Jonny and I are soooo happy for you guys!! I can't wait for all of the pictures and stories.....and a visit to UT:)

Harmony said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm soooo excited for you guys!

Ariella said...

Oh yay!!! I'm so excited for you guys! It's so good to have happy news. It's a beautiful baby dolphin.

Jodi Jo said...

Congratulations, Jamie, Brian and Eliza!! That is fantastic news! What a blessing for you guys. We couldn't be happier! Congrats!!!

Linds said...

Congrats. I love Eliza's reaction. So cute!

Tom and Hilaree said...

Congrats! Hope you get to feeling better.

Laura said...

Happy news! Glad you are feeling better.

Nourishing Creations said...

Congrats! So exciting that it happened without any assistance :) Let me know when dessert sounds good again and I'll make you your cake to celebrate!

sydney said...

congratulations!! that's great!! and since i read this while on the phone with my mom, i told her and she says congratulations too!!
oh and tell the body to like desserts soon cuz they're the best part of food - hehe and the dolphin comment was great :)

Anonymous said...

What?! You're pregnant? That's awesome! ;) Love you guys! Jan

Des said...

Jamie, I am so excited for your family. I admire you so much for doing your rotations and being pregnant and having a little one when you get home. You have to be so exhausted!! Congratulations that is so awesome.

David & Doreen from Frankfurt, Germany said...

Hello from the middle of Germany!
We are very happy to read this great news! Congratulations!!!
As our second daughter is nearly 5 month now we can tell you about your upcoming days and nights a lot :)
There is a german saying: "ONE kid is NO kid". You will understand that in september after your second sunshine will be born. It really is a tough job but it is worth it every day. Our two girls are already best friends and is so sweet to watch them.
So good luck with your pregnancy and all the best wishes from Doreen and David and our girls Mila and Wanda